Credit & Debit Card Fraud Prevention Tips
Keep your financial information secure by following these important tips on preventing fraud. If you think you are a victim of fraud, call us immediately at 1-800-724-2440.
Think you are a victim of fraud?
If you believe you are a victim of fraud related to your M&T Bank credit card or debit card, notify us immediately at 1-800-724-2440. If you think you are a victim of identity theft, please visit our Identity Theft page for more information.
Follow these tips to keep your financial information secure.
You are in the best position to identify suspicious activity in your account. Monitor your account closely and contact us if you don't recognize a transaction.
- Review your monthly statement and closely monitor your account through M&T Online and Mobile Banking
- Use M&T Alerts, to receive notifications of debit card account activity
Covering the Basics
- Never lend your credit or debit card to anyone
- If you move, notify M&T Bank in advance of your change of address
- Sign your credit and debit cards as soon as you receive them
Keeping Your PIN Safe
- Don't write your PIN on your card or anywhere near your card in case your wallet is stolen
Using Your Card at ATMs/Retail Stores
- Do keep an eye on your credit or debit card every time you use it, and make sure you get it back as quickly as possible
- Do shield your card number so that others around you can't copy or photograph it
- Carbon paper is rarely used these days, but if used in a credit card transaction, destroy it immediately
Online Fraud Prevention
- Never provide your credit or debit card information on a website that is not secure (a secure connection will display "https:" in the website address and the lock in the bottom right corner of the browser window)
- Make sure your computer has a firewall installed and keep your browser software and anti-virus program updated
Email Fraud Prevention
- Never respond to emails that request your credit or debit card information via email or verification of your personal (and credit or debit card) information via a website. These scams are called "phishing." Learn more about different types of fraud
- M&T Bank does NOT initiate emails seeking personal information such as account numbers, card PINs and Social Security numbers. If you receive a suspicious email from M&T or about your M&T account, please forward it, as an attachment, to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will investigate on your behalf
Telephone Fraud Prevention
- At M&T Bank, we want you to know that the only reason we would contact you seeking any type of personal or financial information would be if you were in the process of applying for a loan or opening an account with us, or if we were attempting to validate an extraordinary transaction on one of your accounts. If you ever question the legitimacy of a request for your personal or financial information made by an individual claiming to represent M&T Bank, please contact us immediately at 1-800-724-2440
- Don't provide your card number over the phone unless you initiate the call, and you know the company is reputable. Legitimate companies do not call to ask for card numbers over the phone (e.g., you are told there has been a "computer problem" and the caller needs you to verify information – don't provide it)
- Avoid offers informing you that you've won a prize. Respondents are often asked to pay "shipping" or a "deposit" for a prize that never existed in the first place
- Be wary of calls soliciting contributions to charitable causes, particularly those regarding disaster relief. Many times, these solicitors are not legitimate. Contact a worthy organization yourself rather than responding to a telemarketing donation request
Keeping Financial Information Secure at Home
- Shred all received credit card applications and any documents with your credit or debit card numbers
- Check for unusual activity or charges by reviewing your checking account and credit card statements promptly
- Treat your credit card statement like your checking account statement – reconcile it monthly
- Report suspicious charges promptly to M&T Bank at 1-800-724-2440 or in person at a branch
- Never leave your cards or receipts lying around or accessible to others
- Never write your card number on anything that may be visible to the public (e.g., a payment slip that may show through the envelope payment window)
- Obtain your credit report on a regular basis and make sure everything appears correct
- Keep personal records, payroll information, insurance files and other sensitive information stored securely and out of sight. Half of all identity fraud is committed by friends, family members, relatives, employees, live-in caregivers and other individuals working in or around the home