At M&T, we’re focused on practical and tangible “green” actions and activities that involve and benefit our employees, customers and shareholders while making a measurable difference in the environment.
M&T is committed to being an environmentally conscious corporate citizen. We take our environmental impact into consideration whenever special project teams implement new initiatives or when we make decisions regarding the management of our facilities.
Being "green" at M&T means making a measurable difference in the world around us. Below is a sample of the impacts of the projects we've implemented to date.
At M&T, we are:
- Reducing our carbon footprint by approximately 1,300,000 pounds by installing higher-efficiency equipment, which has reduced our electricity usage by 1.45%
- Improving energy efficiency at the office by educating employees on ways to reduce consumption
- Saving an estimated 7,000 trees annually by using recycled paper as our standard copy paper
- Saving the equivalent of 1,300 trees per year by standardizing double-sided printing, thereby reducing our annual paper consumption by 11 million sheets
- Converting approximately 1.8 million pounds of paper into an estimated 350,000 kWh of electricity by enacting our sensitive-document recycling program, which recycles 2.6 million pounds of paper into new paper
- Conserving natural resources by providing employees with the opportunity to recycle nonsensitive documents such as newspapers, bottles and cans
- Leveraging green building standards and materials in new construction and renovations when possible
- Reducing business travel and its associated impacts on the environment by encouraging employees to focus on audio and video conferencing tools
- Cutting down on plastic waste and the carbon that would be created by bottled water delivery trucks by changing from bottled water to filtered water at all facilities