Successor in Interest
Now that you have an ownership interest in a property, learn the steps you’ll need to follow to notify us and officially apply to be a successor in interest.
What is a Successor in Interest?
A successor in interest is someone who has an ownership interest in real estate property as a result of a transfer from an original borrower/owner.
You may qualify as a successor in interest if the property was transferred to you:
- As a surviving heir, due to the death of a relative or property co-owner
- From a living spouse or parent
- As a result of a divorce or legal separation
- As part of a living trust
Successor in Interest Benefits
If your interest in the property is confirmed, M&T Bank will consider you a successor in interest and may provide you with additional access to the mortgage loan when the primary or co-borrower(s) are no longer receiving statements or letters referenced below.
This access includes:
- Mortgage billing statements
- Escrow statements
- Future notifications required by law
- Other potential mortgage loan options (e.g. loss mitigation, assumption)
Apply for Successor in Interest Confirmation
Once you learn that you have a qualifying real estate property ownership interest, you will need to provide us documentation to confirm your identity and your interest. The necessary documentation will vary depending on your specific situation.
You can contact us for documentation information in one of two ways:
- Submit a written request to:
PO Box 1288
Buffalo, NY 14240
- Call 1-800-724-2224 (Monday–Friday 8:30am–9:00pm ET)
Notice of Death for a Borrower
If you have received the ownership interest as a result of a death, please notify us with the following documentation:
- A legible copy of the death certificate with a visual seal
- A copy of the Letters of Testimony appointment an Executor of the Estate, if applicable
Documentation can be sent in the following ways:
PO Box 1288
Buffalo NY, 14240
- Fax: 1-866-409-4652
- Email: email@example.com