MyWay Banking from M&T Bank™
MyWay Banking is a checkless account without the worry of overdraft fees or bounced checks. This account includes many conveniences of traditional checking accounts like online bill pay and debit card access.
View All Checking Accounts
Monthly Maintenance Charge: $0 or $4.95
Monthly Maintenance Charge
(each monthly service charge cycle)
$0 / month
With one or more transactions each monthly service charge cycle, such as a deposit, withdrawal, or any debit payment
$4.95 / month
Monthly Maintenance Fee if requirements not met
Download our guide to learn more about M&T Personal Checking Accounts and Common Fees associated with this account.
- No Overdraft Fees
- Online and Mobile Bill Pay
- Send Money with Zelle
- Checkless Account
- M&T Debit Card with custom card option
- Mobile Deposit
- Digital Wallet payment capability with apps like Apple Pay®, Google Pay™, Samsung Pay, GarminTM and Fitbit PayTM
- M&T Alert
Open a MyWay Banking Account
What you’ll need to open this account:
- $25 minimum opening balance
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Also available for minors 13 to 17 (includes debit card) with parent or guardian as joint owner
Other Standard Features
- Direct Deposit
- M&T Online Banking and M&T Mobile Banking
- M&T's Easy Save
- Access to 700 M&T branches and 1,800 ATMs
- 24-hour Automated Banking Service by phone
- Monthly statements – paper and electronic delivery options
- Complimentary financial review with a personal banker
- FDIC-insured up to maximum limits
How do I pay bills without checks?
- You can pay bills or businesses using Online Bill Pay, ACH, wire transfers, or using a debit card. Online Bill Pay makes it easy to pay bills; use it to pay almost anyone you'd normally pay by check. You maintain control, determining when and how much to pay. Best of all, there is no charge for Bill Pay
- We also offer additional payment options. For example, cashier's checks or money orders are available for a fee in your local M&T branch.
- When giving your account number and routing number to a business for payments from your MyWay Banking account, ensure the business does ACH (Automated Clearing House) as the payment. If a check is utilized instead of an electronic transaction through the ACH, the check will be returned and not paid. You may also be charged a fee by the business. Keep in mind you can use your debit card number instead or pay them through Bill Pay.
How do I pay my family or friends without checks?
You can send money to friends or family using Online Bill Pay or Zelle. Online Bill Pay isn't just for paying your bills; you can easily make a payment to an individual one time, or set up a recurring payment. Zelle allows you to quickly pay back family and friends. Log into the M&T Mobile Banking app or in Online Banking and select Send Money with Zelle to enroll.
Is it possible to overdraw my MyWay Banking account?
If you do not have a sufficient available balance in your MyWay Banking account to cover a transaction, the transaction will be declined and returned unpaid. However, it is possible a payment could be posted to your account resulting in an overdraft situation. For example, this could happen if a transaction is approved for one amount, but the actual charge is more than the money in your account, for instance when adding a tip at a restaurant. If this happens, M&T Bank will not charge you insufficient funds (NSF) or overdraft fees, but you are still required to bring your account positive.
Can I order checks?
No. MyWay Banking is a checkless account. Any checks presented to M&T for payment will not be paid from this account and will be returned. You have many payment options available. Use your debit card or use Online Bill Pay from your computer or mobile device. You can also pay back friends or family with Zelle.