In the meantime...
Questions about M&T Bank?
Questions & Answers
Do I need to do anything right now?
- Bank as you normally would, working with your relationship manager
- Continue using your accounts and services, including merchant and treasury management services
- If you use online banking or eTreasury+, your login remains the same and access is still through peoples.com
- Continue to make your loan payments as usual
- Call the same contact numbers
Will my Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) coverage be affected?
- Accounts you opened at People’s United prior to the merger with M&T Bank will continue to be insured by the FDIC
- If you had deposit accounts with both M&T Bank and the People’s United division of M&T Bank prior to the merger, the FDIC will separately insure those deposit accounts for six months after the merger (on April 2, 2022)
- Any M&T Bank deposit account you had prior to the merger and new deposit accounts established after the merger, including those opened with the People’s United division of M&T Bank, will not be separately insured. They will be combined to determine applicable FDIC insurance limits. This is because the People’s United division of M&T Bank and M&T Bank are now the same FDIC-insured institution
- After six months, your former People’s United Bank deposits and your M&T Bank deposits will be combined for purposes of determining your appropriate level of FDIC deposit insurance coverage
Special Information for Certificates of Deposit (CDs):
- Any CD you have at People’s United Bank, N.A. prior to the merger (on April 2, 2022) is separately insured until its next maturity date after the six-month period following the merger
- If your former People’s United Bank CD automatically renews within six months of the merger, it will continue to be separately insured until its next maturity date The six-month transition period gives you the opportunity to consider how to maximize FDIC deposit insurance coverage for your accounts.
For additional information on FDIC insurance, visit the FDIC website at www.fdic.gov
Who should I go to for my banking and servicing needs?
Continuity and consistency in your relationships is important to you, and it’s important to us as well. Please keep banking as you normally would.
For your business accounts, continue to contact your relationship manager, stop by a local branch or use the existing People's United customer service and support contacts until your accounts transition to M&T, which is anticipated later in 2022.
What can I expect once the system conversion is complete later in 2022?
The accounts and services you had at People’s United Bank, N.A. or opened with M&T Bank through its People’s United division will move to similar accounts and services on our systems. At that time, you’ll also have access to:
- A wider range of financial products and services to help you meet your personal and business needs and wealth management goals
- ATMs at any of our more than 2,000 convenient locations
- More than 1,100 branches in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and West Virginia. Our headquarters are located in Buffalo, NY. Our New England regional headquarters will be in the current People’s United location in Bridgeport, CT
Will the name of the bank change?
- On April 2, 2022, People’s United Bank, N.A. merged into M&T Bank. It is now part of M&T Bank and its former branches and most services will operate as the People’s United division of M&T Bank until we complete the integration of our systems later in 2022
- Account documentation, account-related documents, including debit card and branch/ATM receipts, and other materials may continue to reflect the People’s United Bank, N.A. name or logo or the People’s United Bank, a division of M&T Bank branding until integration of our systems is finalized later in 2022
How will I learn about updates to my accounts and services?
We’ll let you know about any changes to accounts or services well in advance.
- Watch for the M&T green in your mail and email, which indicates merger updates for you
- Bookmark this page and check back for the latest updates
Together We Can
Here for every stage of your business.
At M&T, we’re here to support your business and help you meet your goals. Explore the remarkable things our business customers are doing, and get to know M&T.
Wilmington Trust - Member of the M&T Family
Guiding generations of businesses
Wilmington Trust* has been helping business owners design and execute transition and wealth transfer plans for more than a century.** Backed by the resources of one of the nation’s leading U.S.-based, commercial bank holding companies, M&T Bank Corporation, we bring a high level of skill and experience to every relationship we serve. We offer advice, guidance, and solutions to business owners through every phase of your journey—from starting out, growing the business, and eventually transitioning it.
* Wilmington Trust is a registered service mark used in connection with various fiduciary and non-fiduciary services offered by certain subsidiaries of M&T Bank Corporation including, but not limited to, Manufacturers & Traders Trust Company (M&T Bank), Wilmington Trust Company (WTC) operating in Delaware only, Wilmington Trust, N.A. (WTNA), Wilmington Trust Investment Advisors, Inc. (WTIA), Wilmington Funds Management Corporation (WFMC), and Wilmington Trust Investment Management, LLC (WTIM). Such services include trustee, custodial, agency, investment management, and other services. International corporate and institutional services are offered through M&T Bank Corporation’s international subsidiaries. Loans, credit cards, retail and business deposits, and other business and personal banking services and products are offered by M&T Bank, Member FDIC.
** Wilmington Trust traces its roots to the founding of Wilmington Trust Company in 1903.
Investment products are not insured by the FDIC or any other governmental agency, are not deposits of or other obligations of or guaranteed by Wilmington Trust, M&T Bank, or any other bank or entity, and are subject to investment risks, including the possible loss of principal amount invested.
Update your contact information.
If your name, address, email or phone number has changed, please update it so you’ll receive information regarding your accounts when it becomes available.
To update, contact your relationship manager or call 1-800-894-0300.
Read news about the merger.
Check out all of the of the past news related to People's United becoming part of M&T Bank.
- Merger Completion Press release (4/2/22)
- Regulatory Approval Press Release (3/4/22)
- Merger Extension Press Release (2/18/22)
- Agreement to Acquire People's United Press Release (2/22/21)