Card Acceptance Security
Learn the signs of eCommerce and credit card fraud and the steps you can take to help prevent it with tips and tools from M&T Bank Merchant Services®.
Understanding fraud is the first step to preventing it.
Today, every business faces a growing risk of credit card and eCommerce fraud. Your best defense is knowing the signs of fraud and following industry best practices to prevent it. M&T Bank Merchant Services is here to help educate you on two types of fraud, Card-Present and Card-Not-Present/Ecommerce fraud.
When processing in-person credit or debit card transactions, you can take proactive steps to reduce your risk of fraud, by looking for the common warning signs of debit or credit card fraud and updating and maintaining your point of sale (POS) equipment and software properly.
If your business accepts card-not-present transactions, you (not the card issuer) are liable for any fraudulent transactions. You can help minimize your risk of loss and penalties with the right tools and information, by using Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliant equipment and following PCI best practices.
Learn more about protecting your business.
When it comes to preventing fraud, there’s no such thing as too much information.
- Review Visa’s checklist for reporting suspected card fraud
- Learn more about card security features and terminology
- Find tips on reducing charge backs
- Learn how to make a Code 10 authorization request safely
Get the payment processing tools you need to help fight fraud.
M&T Merchant Services is here to help. Partnering with industry leaders in card security, we offer:
- More secure card terminals and POS devices designed to prevent fraud at the point-of-sale
- The PCI Assist Program to guide your business toward proper data security practices
- Encryption and tokenization tools designed to render sensitive cardholder data in your POS devices useless to thieves
Report fraudulent transactions and security breaches immediately.
If you suspect a transaction is fraudulent or your payment security has been breached, report it to your merchant processor immediately to reduce your liability. If you’re an M&T customer, contact M&T Bank’s Merchant Services Team at 1-800-536-7000. We’ll be there to help you manage through it.