M&T Debit Card
The M&T Debit Card helps make purchases faster and more convenient– whether it’s online, in person or on the phone.
New to M&T? Start by exploring our Checking Account options. Already banking with M&T? Learn how to activate your M&T Debit Card below.
Former People's United Customers: Activate your M&T Debit Card
- If you haven't activated your new M&T card, be sure to do so immediately by calling the phone number on the front sticker of your card or use it at any M&T ATM, including former People’s United ATMs
- Update any recurring payments and your digital wallet by adding your M&T Debit Card and removing your People's United Debit Card to avoid service disruption
- If you haven't received your M&T Debit Card, please call 1-800-414-9435
Our Top M&T Debit Card Features and Services
Make purchases with ease anywhere debit or Visa© cards are accepted.
Tap to Pay Technology
Globally accepted chip and contactless technology.
Digital Wallet App
Add your M&T card(s) for fast, easy checkout, online or in-store.
Custom Card Designs
Personalize your card with your own or one of our images—at no cost.
Keeping your information more secure.
- M&T Assurance® helps prevent, detect, and resolve fraud.
- Visa© Zero Liability Policy helps protect you against unauthorized use of your card.
- M&T Alerts send security alerts to your mobile device.
- Lock/Unlock allows you to temporarily lock your card when you have misplaced it.
Make it Personal
Customize your M&T Debit Card
Use your own image or choose one from our online design studio to create a unique card at no extra cost.
Access the information you need with the quick links below.
How do I activate my new debit card?
When you receive your card in the mail, simply call the number shown on the sticker on the front of your card or activate it at an ATM. Once the card is activated, remove the sticker and sign the signature panel on the back of the card.
Does my M&T Debit Card have any spending or cash withdrawal limits?
For your personal security, your M&T Debit Card does have limits. While these limits should not affect your average use of the card, there are cash withdrawal and purchase limits in place to prevent excessive usage if an unauthorized individual were to use your card. Please refer to the Electronic Banking Card and Telephone Transaction Disclosure and Agreement you received with your card for more information regarding these limits.
Added benefit: if we notice that your card is being used more frequently than normal, we may request to speak to you at the time you are making a purchase, or we may call you to ensure that your card is not being used fraudulently.
How can I get a replacement for my damaged M&T Debit Card?
If you have a damaged card, and would like to get a replacement, you can:
- Log in to Online Banking and select Order a Replacement Card from the Services Menu
- Log in to the M&T Mobile App, select Card Services from the Menu, and select Order a Replacement Card
- Call 1-800-724-2440
- Visit your local branch
How does my M&T Debit Card work?
When you make a purchase with an M&T Debit Card, the money is taken out of your linked M&T checking account. Follow the prompts on the terminal to complete your transaction. You may be asked to enter your PIN or sign for your purchase. Either way, you will not be charged a fee for purchases in the U.S.
Where can I use my M&T Debit Card?
Use your M&T Debit Card at millions of locations worldwide, at your favorite online merchant, over the phone and for in-app purchases.