People's United - Personal & Business Banking
Will my Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) coverage be affected?
- Accounts you opened at People’s United prior to the merger with M&T Bank will continue to be insured by the FDIC
- If you had deposit accounts with both M&T Bank and the People’s United division of M&T Bank prior to the merger, the FDIC will separately insure those deposit accounts for six months after the merger (on April 2, 2022)
- Any M&T Bank deposit account you had prior to the merger and new deposit accounts established after the merger, including those opened with the People’s United division of M&T Bank, will not be separately insured. They will be combined to determine applicable FDIC insurance limits. This is because the People’s United division of M&T Bank and M&T Bank are now the same FDIC-insured institution
- After six months, your former People’s United Bank deposits and your M&T Bank deposits will be combined for purposes of determining your appropriate level of FDIC deposit insurance coverage
Special Information for Certificates of Deposit (CDs):
- Any CD you have at People’s United Bank, N.A. prior to the merger (on April 2, 2022) is separately insured until its next maturity date after the six-month period following the merger
- If your former People’s United Bank CD automatically renews within six months of the merger, it will continue to be separately insured until its next maturity date The six-month transition period gives you the opportunity to consider how to maximize FDIC deposit insurance coverage for your accounts.
For additional information on FDIC insurance, visit the FDIC website at www.fdic.gov