Change Your Name or Address on Your Account/Cards

Updating your address or changing your name on your bank account and cards is easy. A representative at any branch can help you make the switch.


How to Change Your Name

Prepare the required documentation. 

If you’re a U.S. citizen, you'll need to bring one form of identification (such as a driver's license or passport) and a legal name-change document (a marriage certificate, for example). If you don't have one of the mentioned forms of identification, a branch representative can help you determine an acceptable alternative.  

If you’re not a U.S. citizen, the required forms of ID depend on whether you are a resident or non-resident.  Please speak to a branch representative for a list of acceptable forms of ID. 

​Make a Branch Appointment.  

In order to change your name on your cards and accounts, you’ll need to visit a branch and speak to a representative. We recommend calling ahead to make an appointment because, depending on how many accounts you have, it may take between 10 to 20 minutes to complete the paperwork. 

Make an Appointment >

​Watch your mail.   

Once you complete the process with the branch representative, your name change will take effect immediately. Your new cards will arrive in the mail typically within four to five business days. Make sure to check your mail carefully. For your security, the envelope won’t have any particular markings on it and we don’t want you to overlook it. 

How to Notify Us of an Address Change

Have you recently moved? Make sure you update the address associated with your M&T bank account or cards. Please visit your nearest M&T branch or contact the M&T Telephone Banking Center at 1-800-724-2440 for assistance.

Unless otherwise specified, all advertised offers and terms and conditions of accounts and services are subject to change at any time without notice. After an account is opened or service begins, it is subject to its features, conditions and terms, which are subject to change at any time in accordance with applicable laws and agreements. Please contact an M&T representative for details.