Learn more about bank security protocols, so you can help protect your sensitive information when banking online, over the phone or even at a branch.
Protecting Your Information
At M&T Bank, we are committed to helping you protect your personal and financial information – whether you're banking online, by phone or at one of our branches.
MTB.com is a secure site – how can you tell?
The "https" protocol at the beginning of the web address in the address bar indicates that you are using a secure communication over the Internet. This protocol is a combination of the standard Hypertext Transfer Protocol (http) with the security component SSL (Secure Sockets Layer). A padlock icon is also present to indicate a secure connection. The https protocol is utilized on all pages displaying your sensitive customer information.
Banking Security Tips to Remember
- Never give out personal information in response to an unsolicited call or email
- Unless you initiate the contact or we are completing an application for you, M&T Bank will NOT request your personal information (e.g., account number, Social Security number or mother's maiden name) through email, U.S. mail or phone
- M&T Bank may request your online banking username to verify your identity by phone or email, however, we will NOT request your online banking passcode
- M&T will not send you an email requesting that you click on a hyperlink and enter your login credentials or personal information. If you receive this type of email, please forward it firstname.lastname@example.org
Report fraud immediately.
Call 1-800-724-2440 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
In This Section
- How M&T Protects You > Learn more about our security policies and the banking security tips and tools you can put into practice to help protect yourself and others from theft and fraud.
- How You Can Protect Yourself > Learn how to protect personal information from fraud and access financial security tips that can help you keep your information out of scammers' hands.
- Protecting Your Organization > Learn more about protecting against and reducing payment fraud – and how to manage the risk of fraud at work.
- Responsible Disclosure Program > If you believe you have identified a potential security vulnerability in any product, system, or asset belonging to M&T Bank or Wilmington Trust, please submit a report to our Responsible Disclosure Program.