How to Choose the Right Checking Account for You
Need a checking account but aren't sure where to start? We can help. We know there's a lot to think about, so we've put together some considerations to help you prioritize what's most important to you.
1. Consider how you will use your account.
Some accounts will allow you to avoid a monthly maintenance charge if you do things like keep a certain balance or use your debit card. So think about the money coming in and out of your checking account.
It's important to consider:
- How often will you use your debit card?
- Will you be using direct deposit on a monthly basis?
- How high of a balance can you maintain?
2. Consider the services that come with your account.
We've worked to create a range of checking account options with a variety of features, so you're able to choose the one that best fits your needs. Keep in mind some accounts may have higher monthly maintenance charges or require you to maintain a higher account balance. Get started by thinking about the things you want to be able to do with your checking account.
How do you plan to access and manage your money?
- Do you need to write checks?
- Are you interested in preventing overdraft fees?
- Do you use ATMs frequently?
- Do you check your account balance and pay bills online?
- Are you interested in overdraft protection?
- Are you interested in preferred rates on loans?
- Are you looking to earn interest on your checking balances?
3. Utilize tools that come with your account.
When you open an account with M&T, you'll be able to take advantage of additional tools designed to help make managing your time and money easier. Depending on your needs, you may decide to enroll in any of the following.
- Direct Deposit
- Digital Wallet payment capability with apps like Apple Pay®, Google Pay™ and Samsung Pay
- Electronic Statements and Notices
- Mobile Check Deposit,
- M&T Mobile Banking
- M&T Online Banking
- Bill Pay,
4. Go ahead and compare.
Now that you know what you want to get out of your checking account, compare the options available. We've made it easy for you to compare M&T's personal checking accounts at a glance.