Navigating the college process can be intimidating.
Applying for student loans shouldn’t be. M&T is here to help make the process easy, so you can focus on what matters most.
Enter for a chance to win $1,000 to pay for education expenses with the M&T Bank Scholarship Sweepstakes!
Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements and restrictions, may be viewed here: M&T Bank Scholarship Sweepstakes Rules.
Employees or contractors of Sponsor, MGH, Inc. (the “Administrator”), or their affiliates, advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies (collectively, “Sweepstakes Entities”) and members of their immediate families or households are not eligible. Winners of any other M&T Bank contest or sweepstakes in the previous six-month period are ineligible.
SPONSOR: M&T Bank, One M&T Plaza, Buffalo, NY 14203-2399.
M&T has undergraduate student loan options for your degree.
Whether you’re just starting your research or ready to apply, empowering you to find the right loan for your bachelor’s, associate’s or certificates at a degree-granting school is important.
Our Student Resources & Interactive Guides can help get you started on the right path. Once you’re ready to apply, you’ll choose from competitive fixed and variable rates and several repayment options that allow you to borrow from $1,000 up to 100% of your school-certified expenses.
1.13% APR – 11.23% APR
4.25% APR – 12.59% APR
Lowest rates include an auto debit discount. Fixed rates will remain constant while variable rates will fluctuate with the market over the life of the loan.
Choose from 3 repayment options.
Choose one of the following repayment options as part of the application process.
- Defer payments until you leave school.
- Pay monthly interest while in school.
- Pay $25 per month while in school.
Details and Features
Rate discount available
Get a 0.25 percentage point interest rate reduction when you enroll and make monthly payments by auto debit.
5-15 years of principal and interest repayments.
Apply to release your cosigner
Apply to release your cosigner after you graduate. Make 12 on-time principal and interest payments and meet certain credit requirements. Releasing a co-signer could improve their debt-to-income ratio and credit to qualify for other needs.
Set yourself up for success
Get free access to 4 months of Textbook Solutions and Expert Q&A with Chegg Study®, one 60 minute session of live chat tutoring with Chegg® Tutors, and 4 months of proofreading and citation help with EasyBib® Plus.
Got questions? We're here to help.
Before starting, we recommend you (and your cosigner, if applicable) have the following information handy:
- Permanent address
- Social Security numbers
- School information
- Academic period of enrollment
- Requested loan amount
- Financial aid and scholarships you expect to receive
- Financial information
- Two personal contacts (other than your cosigner)
Countdown to College
Decoding Financial Aid Offers
Understanding grants and scholarships to pay for college
Financial Education Center
When applying for an M&T Student Loan, you’ll be transferred to our servicing provider, Sallie Mae®.
- All loans and lines of credit and all terms referenced are subject to credit approval and other conditions. Other terms, conditions, fees and restrictions may apply.
- M&T BANK RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY OR DISCONTINUE PRODUCTS, SERVICES, AND BENEFITS AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE.
- This information is for students attending participating degree-granting schools. M&T Bank Undergraduate Student Loan information is for undergraduates only. Graduate Certificate/Continuing Education coursework is not eligible for MBA, Medical, Dental, and Law School Loans. Borrowers must be U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents if the school is located outside of the United States. Non-U.S. citizen borrowers who reside in the U.S. are eligible with a creditworthy cosigner (who must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident) and are required to provide an unexpired government-issued photo ID to verify identity. Applications are subject to a requested minimum loan amount of $1,000. Current credit and other eligibility criteria apply.
- M&T Bank Loans are funded by M&T Bank.
- Information advertised valid as of 05/01/2021.
- Although we do not charge a penalty or fee if you prepay your loan, any prepayment will be applied as outlined in your promissory note—first to Unpaid Fees and costs, then to Unpaid Interest, and then to Current Principal.
- Loan amount cannot exceed the cost of attendance less financial aid received, as certified by the school. M&T Bank reserves the right to approve a lower loan amount than the school-certified amount. Miscellaneous personal expenses (such as a laptop) may be included in the cost of attendance for students enrolled at least half-time.
- Interest is charged throughout the life of the loan—beginning with disbursement, during school, through any grace/separation period, and ending when the loan is paid in full. With the Fixed and Deferred Repayment Options, the interest rate is higher than with the Interest Repayment Option and Unpaid Interest is added to the loan’s Current Principal at the end of the grace/separation period. Payments may be required during the grace/separation period depending on the repayment option selected. Variable rates may increase over the life of the loan.