Digital Wallet F A Qs
Get answers to frequently asked questions about the benefits of using your mobile device’s digital wallet.
For general Digital Payment inquiries:
Personal and Business Card Customers. Call 1-877-334-9065
Commercial Card Customer. Call 1-855-422-0001
What is a digital wallet?
A digital wallet uses contactless payment technology from an eligible device to allow merchants to receive customer payments.
How does a digital wallet work?
A digital wallet creates an electronic version of your M&T Card(s), assigning them a device account number or virtual account number for added protection. Once created, you can use your digital wallet at participating merchants who accept this form of payment.
How do I know if a merchant accepts a digital wallet?
Look for the digital wallet logo or the contactless symbol at checkout.
What is a device account number or virtual account number?
Your 16-digit M&T card number(s) will be replaced with a device account number or virtual account number, that can be securely stored on your devices, and used for purchases. Your M&T card numbers are NOT stored on the device or on GoogleTM Apple®, Samsung, Fitbit® or GarminTM servers. This helps reduce the potential for fraud and simplifies checkout by eliminating the need for multiple ard number entries when purchasing items in mobile applications (i.e., "in-app").
Which M&T cards can I use with a digital wallet?
Use your M&T personal and business debit or credit card(s) or your M&T Commercial card with Google Pay™, Apple Pay®, Samsung Pay, Fitbit Pay™ and Garmin Pay™. Be sure to set your M&T Cards as the “Default Card” on your device.
What if my phone or device is lost or stolen?
Immediately notify M&T. Personal or Business Card customers should call 1-877-334-9065 and M&T Commercial Card customers should call 1-855-422-0001. You should also notify your phone carrier if your phone is lost or stolen. M&T will place a hold on your device account number or virtual account number without impacting your M&T card. Your device account number is different than your card number, and therefore, your M&T plastic cards will not be affected and can still be used.
What if my M&T card is lost or stolen?
If your M&T plastic card is lost or stolen, please notify M&T immediately. Personal and Business Card customers should call 1-800-724-1552 and M&T Commercial Card customers should call 1-800-443-8671. We will cancel your card and issue you a new card. Once you activate your new card, you will need to follow the steps for enrolling that card in a digital wallet.
Can I use my digital wallet to make contactless payments internationally?
Yes, you can use Apple Pay®, Samsung Pay, Google Pay™, Fitbit Pay™ and Garmin Pay™ when traveling internationally at stores that accept contactless payments.
Note: foreign transaction fees may apply.
Is a digital wallet secure?
Security is our first priority at M&T, and digital wallets use extra security measures to help keep transactions secure. Those requests include:
- Enrollment verification requests when adding your card
- Use of tokenization, where your card number is replaced with an encrypted digital token for each transaction
- Your device does not retain or save your card data
- Personal and Business Card transactions are covered by M&T Assurance®, which helps to prevent, detect and resolve fraud
- Personal and Business Card purchases are covered by Visa Zero Liability, so you won’t be held liable for unauthorized transactions.
If you believe you have been a victim of fraud related to your M&T accounts, notify us immediately. Personal and Business Card customers should call 1-800-375-8097 and Commercial Card customers should call 1-800-443-8671, so we can take action to help you.
Who do I have to provide additional information to verify my card for use in digital wallet?
For security purposes, we may ask you for additional information to verify your identity. Simply follow the options on your device to complete enrollment, then you can begin using you digital wallet anywhere that accepts contactless payments, just look for the logo or the contactless symbol at checkout.
How do I use FitBit Pay™?
With your device nearby, from the Fitbit® app dashboard, tap the Account icon ( ). Tap the Wallet tile.
Follow the on-screen instructions to add your M&T card. If you’re setting up Fitbit Pay for the first time, you may be prompted to set a 4-digit PIN code for your device. Note that you also need passcode protection enabled for your phone.
After you add your M&T card, follow the on-screen instructions to turn on notifications for your phone (if you haven’t already done so) to complete the setup.
How do I make a payment with FitBit Pay™?
When you’re ready to pay, press and hold the left button on your device for 2 seconds. Swipe to the Payments screen if it's not shown.
- If prompted, enter your 4-digit PIN code. Your default card appears on the screen.
- To pay with your default card, hold your wrist near the payment terminal. To pay with a different card: swipe up on Ionic and Versa, or tap Charge 3, to find the card you want to use. Then hold your wrist near the payment terminal.
- When the payment succeeds, your device vibrates and you’ll see a confirmation on the screen.
If the payment terminal doesn’t recognize Fitbit Pay, make sure the device face is near the reader and that the cashier knows you’re using a contactless payment.
How do I make M&T my default card on my FitBit device?
When you're ready to pay, your default card appears on your device's screen. To change your default card:
- From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Account icon ()
- Tap the Wallet tile.
- Tap your M&T card
- Tap Set as Default.
How do I set up Garmin Pay™?
- Go to the Garmin Connect™ Mobile app on your smartphone
- Tap the Garmin Devices section (located under the More tab, right above the Settings menu), and choose your device.
- Select Garmin Pay
- Tap Create Your Wallet and from there you will be prompted to create a four-digit passcode
- Add your M&T card
How do I make a payment with Garmin Pay™?
On your watch, press and hold the action button to bring up the Navigation Controls menu.
- Tap the virtual wallet icon and enter your four-digit passcode
- Once the wallet is open, your last used card will automatically appear, but you can swipe down for more card options
- Hold your wrist near a contactless card reader
The outer edge of your watch face will light up green after a few moments to indicate the purchase is complete.