Closing Your Personal or Business Checking or Savings Account
Learn how to close your personal or business M&T Checking or Savings Account and other helpful information to consider before you do
What kind of account do you have?
The type of account you have will determine how you’ll go about closing it. Here are a few tips based on your account type.
Personal Checking or Savings Account
- Personal checking or savings accounts can be closed by visiting an M&T branch, or an out of area request can be made by mail to the branch in which the account was opened.
- Personal non-interest bearing checking accounts with a zero balance can be closed by calling the M&T Contact Center at 1-800-724-2440, or by submitting a request through Online Banking
- When closing an account by mail or phone, a notarized written request is required for accounts with balances over $1,000. Review a sample notarized account closing request (PDF)
Business Checking or Savings Account
- Business accounts with a balance must be closed by visiting an M&T branch
- Non-interest bearing business accounts with a zero balance can be closed by calling the M&T Contact Center at 1-800-724-6070, or by submitting a request through Online Banking
Additional Reminders When Closing a Personal or Business Checking or Savings Account
- You must cancel any recurring payment or withdrawal from your account before requesting to close your account (examples include outstanding checks, bill payments and debit card payments) otherwise, they may be returned unpaid
- You must stop or transfer any direct deposits prior to closing an account to ensure the deposit does not get returned to the sender
- Your account must be closed on our system in order to stop transactions and fees from being applied to your account. An account with a zero balance will not close automatically, and fees and charges will still apply
- You could overdraw your account, if you have a zero balance and still have outstanding or pending transactions. Overdrawn accounts need to be brought back to zero or a positive balance
- You must close or begin to pay off any overdraft line of credit attached to the account if not linked to another qualifying checking account
- When closing a personal account by mail or phone, the funds will be sent to the current address of record. You can change your address by calling the Contact Center at 1-800-724-2440
- An early close-out fee may apply to your account if you are closing it within six months of when it was opened. Please refer to your account terms for more information
Please call our M&T Contact Center:
- Personal Customers at 1-800-724-2440
- Business Customers at 1-800-724-6070