In 2016, chemical engineer, Blake Crawford, and molecular biologist, Mike Roosevelt, came up with a new hypothesis: creating the first craft brewery in Bergen, NJ, would increase happiness. And to no surprise, they were right.
Alementary Brewing Co. is home to the rustic microbrewery, taproom and biergarten located at 58 Voorhis Lane, Hackensack, NJ 07601. Known for the small-batch consistency and impressive workflow that goes down in the lab (yes, lab), Alementary Brewing Co. has received a big following and even serves as an advisor for other breweries' quality management and workflow processes.
Thinking about an ice-cold brew got you thirsty? Crack one open as we take you through 12 questions that we asked Alementary Brewing Co. about the success of their small business.
1. How would you describe Alementary Brewing Co. to someone who’s never been?
Alementary Brewing Co.’s beers deliver authentic taste and consistently excellent drinking experiences. Consumers quickly become loyal fans and generate repeat sales for the bars, restaurants and retailers that sell Alementary beer. We combine the artistry of brewing with modern science to create craft beers that are delightful and engaging. There’s nothing phony or contrived – just great-tasting beer you can rely on.
2. What’s your favorite beer that you offer?
My favorite beer is probably Story Problems, but we only make it once a year. So really, my favorite beer is the one in my glass!
3. How did the brewery start?
We were looking to strike out on our own after many years in corporate jobs. Alementary was conceived mainly on road trips back and forth to Vermont, and at the time, Bergen had exactly zero craft breweries!
4. What’s the vibe you want customers to feel when they enter the brewery?
We value and recognize the diversity of our customers. Our taproom is very much a ‘come as you are’ environment. You’re sure to make new friends, and you won’t be screaming over the music.
5. What’s your favorite thing about running a small business?
Getting to know my customers and realizing that we’ve created a space for people to feel at home.
6. If someone can visit the brewery only once, what’s the must-have?
The Original Hackensack Lager is our flagship and should not be missed!
7. Does your business do anything special with – or for – the community?
We love our community, and we recognize the importance of giving back. We do a lot of fundraisers for local animal shelters and LGBTQ+ causes.
8. What’s your favorite time of year for the brewery?
The fall! Oktoberfest, the return of Stouts! What’s not to love?
9. What would you tell the dreamers out there thinking about opening a business?
At the end of the day, you’re creating a little piece of yourself and sharing it with the world. It’s so hard but worth all the blood, sweat and tears you will inevitably spill.
10. How do you measure the success of your small business?
I measure success based on the friendships that have developed amongst our customers. When people tell me that our business is their ‘home away from home,’ I know we’ve succeeded.
11. What are you looking forward to for the future of Alementary Brewing Co.?
We are still growing! I’m really excited about the next 12 months, as we’re aiming to increase our distribution footprint to cover more of the East Coast from Maryland up to Massachusetts!
12. If you could tell the readers one thing about Alementary Brewing Co., what would it be?
Come experience ‘Better Drinking Through Science’ and tell them Mike sent you.
Not in NJ to try one of the rotating recipes on tap? You can find Alementary Brewing on M&T Bank's Spotlight Shop or likely at a bar, restaurant, or store near you. Just look for the scientific logo and Marjie, the team's cute dog that we hear is on every can!
Cheers to making beer, better!