In the meantime...
Questions about M&T Bank?
Questions & Answers
What are the immediate benefits?
You can use any M&T Bank ATM to withdraw cash without the usual out-of-network fees. This gives you free access to more than 2,000 ATMs throughout Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and West Virginia.
Do I need to do anything right now?
Will my Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) coverage be affected?
- Accounts you opened at People’s United prior to the merger with M&T Bank will continue to be insured by the FDIC
- If you had deposit accounts with both M&T Bank and the People’s United division of M&T Bank prior to the merger, the FDIC will separately insure those deposit accounts for six months after the merger (on April 2, 2022)
- Any M&T Bank deposit account you had prior to the merger and new deposit accounts established after the merger, including those opened with the People’s United division of M&T Bank, will not be separately insured. They will be combined to determine applicable FDIC insurance limits. This is because the People’s United division of M&T Bank and M&T Bank are now the same FDIC-insured institution
- After six months, your former People’s United Bank deposits and your M&T Bank deposits will be combined for purposes of determining your appropriate level of FDIC deposit insurance coverage
Special Information for Certificates of Deposit (CDs):
- Any CD you have at People’s United Bank, N.A. prior to the merger (on April 2, 2022) is separately insured until its next maturity date after the six-month period following the merger
- If your former People’s United Bank CD automatically renews within six months of the merger, it will continue to be separately insured until its next maturity date The six-month transition period gives you the opportunity to consider how to maximize FDIC deposit insurance coverage for your accounts.
For additional information on FDIC insurance, visit the FDIC website at www.fdic.gov
How will I learn about updates to my accounts and services?
We’ll let you know about any changes to accounts or services well in advance.
- Watch for the M&T green in your mail and email, which indicates merger updates for you
- Bookmark this page and check back for the latest updates
Together We Can
Your Community & M&T
At M&T Bank, you and your community are at the heart of everything we do. See how we’re working to create the right opportunities for the people we serve.
Wilmington Trust - Member of the M&T Family
Guiding generations of families
Wilmington Trust* has been helping business owners design and execute transition and wealth transfer plans for more than a century.** Backed by the resources of one of the nation’s leading U.S.-based, commercial bank holding companies, M&T Bank Corporation, we bring a high level of skill and experience to every relationship we serve. We offer advice, guidance, and solutions to business owners through every phase of your journey—from starting out, growing the business, and eventually transitioning it.
* Wilmington Trust is a registered service mark used in connection with various fiduciary and non-fiduciary services offered by certain subsidiaries of M&T Bank Corporation including, but not limited to, Manufacturers & Traders Trust Company (M&T Bank), Wilmington Trust Company (WTC) operating in Delaware only, Wilmington Trust, N.A. (WTNA), Wilmington Trust Investment Advisors, Inc. (WTIA), Wilmington Funds Management Corporation (WFMC), and Wilmington Trust Investment Management, LLC (WTIM). Such services include trustee, custodial, agency, investment management, and other services. International corporate and institutional services are offered through M&T Bank Corporation’s international subsidiaries. Loans, credit cards, retail and business deposits, and other business and personal banking services and products are offered by M&T Bank, Member FDIC.
** Wilmington Trust traces its roots to the founding of Wilmington Trust Company in 1903.
Investment products are not insured by the FDIC or any other governmental agency, are not deposits of or other obligations of or guaranteed by Wilmington Trust, M&T Bank, or any other bank or entity, and are subject to investment risks, including the possible loss of principal amount invested.
Update your contact information.
Please log in to People's United online banking as soon as possible to make sure your name, address, email or phone number is up-to-date. This will help ensure that any information—including your new debit card(s) and checks—is sent to the correct address.
- Log in to People's United Online Banking
- Use the blue tool bar at the top of sceen and click on ...More, then choose Customer Service
- Under Settings, select Contact Information and verify that all the phone numbers listed are correct. Click change and make the necessary updates
- Click submit and follow the security prompts
- Return to the Settings list and select Street Address. Verify that all street address are correct. Click change and make the necessary updates
- After your updates are made, click submit and follow the securtiy prompts
Read news about the merger.
Check out all of the of the past news related to People's United becoming part of M&T Bank.
- Merger Completion Press release (4/2/22)
- Regulatory Approval Press Release (3/4/22)
- Merger Extension Press Release (2/18/22)
- Agreement to Acquire People's United Press Release (2/22/21)